Plaza de Bolívar
Plaza de Bolivar is a square in the historic heart of Bogota. On the square stands a statue of Simón Bolivar. The statue was created in 1846 by Italian Pietro Tenerani. It is the first public monument in Bogota. Small detail is that Simon Bolivar is from Venezuela, and that there almost every city a square with his name.
Palace of justice
On the north side of the square is the palace of justice established. The high council use it today. The building has a modern look. This is because it is build not so long ago, in 1989. It is the symbol of the status of the country. The first building dates from 1921. This was destroyed by fire in April 1948. There were riots with the name "El Bogotazo". The 2nd building was destroyed in 1985 with the attack by the army when it was occupied by the rebel group M-19. The building has been 4 years in ruins before the city has demolished it and put the existing building down.
In the south of the square is the building where the Parliament of Colombia is located.They started building in 1826, but because of the instability of the country is was not finished until 1926. The building was designed by English architect Thomas Reed. In the original design was a dome. To save time to get is finished the deleted it from the plans.
On the west side of the square is the workplace of the mayor of Bogota. It was built by the Frenchman Gastón Lelarge. He was assigned to achieve the ideas of the former mayor Julián Lobana. You can clearly see that the building was designed by a non-Spaniard. Namely the cross against the Spanish usual appearance of the time. People call this building Edificio the Líevano (Edificio de Líevano).
Cathedral of Bogota
In the east of the square is the Cathedral of Bogota. It was built between 1807 and 1823. Near the cathedral is the holy chapel. This was build around the 17th century.
The north east corner of the square houses the museum July 20. This museum is looking at July 20, 1810. On this date began the first independent government of Colombia without the influence of Spain.
In the south east corner is a school. It was formerly a university. This was built in 1604. Many prominent Colombians have sat at this school.